Thursday, April 12, 2007

Interesting Site With Local Economic Information

Found a site with some interesting information on it. It's called ecanned.com. At first I thought it was a spoof on the old "Danville Can" slogan from a few years ago, but it's not. It looks like they get alot of data from the last big census and from the different statistical bureaus. They publish this data along with some decent graphs. Every major locality across the country seems to have it's own page. Here are links for Danville, Pittsylvania County, Henry County, Patrick County, Halifax County, and Charlotte County. I could not find Martinsville. Any educational employee from these localities may join Piedmont Credit Union, so that's why they were selected. Some people, like me, find statistical information interesting.

One interesting read on the Danville page was how overall wages have increased by 26.5% since 2001. I am no economist but I would presume that this is the result of the economic growth our city has experienced over the last few years. I can think of 5 major employers just off the top of my head who share a large responsibility for this growth. Essel Propack, Arista Tubes, Yorktowne Cabinetry, Unarco Industries, Telvista, and coming soon Ikea. I feel like I'm forgetting some too. Here's a quote from the City of Danville's website:

Setting an unprecedented pace, the City of Danville has proudly announced 17 new projects and 9 expansions since March 2004. These companies will create 5,604 jobs and will spark the investment of more than $500,000,000 within the community. Of those 26 projects, 11 were announced in 2006.
It really is an exciting time for our city.

3 comments:

Register Lady said...

Hi, I'm just offering information about a little site I recently created that links to federal info affecting credit unions. If you're interested in this kind of resource, link to it or visit anytime; it's free.

BTW, nice blog! Have a good weekend :)

Dan Veasey said...

Thank you Register Lady,
I actually just found your site yesterday and had not had the chance to read much of it yet. I'll be happy to include your link here.
Credit Union Register
I'll add it to our link list as well.

You have a great weekend too!

Register Lady said...

Wow, that was fast! Thanks much :)